Thunder Butte

October 09, 2005

The Chance Store and the Randals

The next country store north of Usta was called the Chance store, and it was owned and operated by Herschel Randal and his wife. We were all good friends. Their son, Jack, went to high school with me in Lemmon, and was my sparring partner and my best friend.

My parents came to California [about 1940] with the Randals in the Randals’ car, but the Randals went on to Burbank where Herschel worked in an aircraft plant. Jack had me out to their home near San Diego later. That was the last I ever saw of the Randals. I heard later that Jack became manager of an aircraft parts factory, but that he later died of cancer soon after the war.

Chance is still there, incidentally.

--John Crowley

Editors Note: Chance is about seventeen miles north of Usta and about twenty miles northwest of Thunder Butte.
Mike Crowley Sunday, October 09, 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment